- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted cold butter or ghee
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 2 pounds fish, large pieces, preferably a white fish
- 2 cups yogurt, Greek or Bangladeshi preferred.
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp of salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper for taste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 to 1 tsp of red chili powder (as you wish)
- 1 tsp of crushed fresh ginger
- 1 tsp of crushed fresh garlic
- 1 to 2 green chilies sliced or whole as you wish
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium to high heat.
- When hot, add in the onions until translucent
- Add the salt and pepper and transfer to a baking dish so that they cover the entire bottom of the dish
- Layer the fish over the onions
- In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, sugar, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, cumin, coriander, garam masala, red chili powder, ginger, and garlic along with the remaining 1 tbsp of oil.
- Pour the sauce over the fish, making sure some also goes underneath.
- Place your optional green chilies around the baking dish for fragrance.
- Cover in foil and bake for about 30-40 minutes until the fish is cooked.
- Pour out the liquid from the from the baking dish and thicken into a sauce by heating over a saucepan and adding the optional butter or ghee. Season with salt and paper and pour it back over the fish to server.