Khichuri (also known as khichri in the Indian subcontinent) is a dish essentially of rice and lentils. There are an infinite varieties of Khichuri.
This version is a drier version and uses Moog Daal (Mung beans) instead of the standard yellow lentils..
- MoogdAl 1 cup
- PolAu Rice 2 cups
- Finely diced ginger 2 tsp
- Salt 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon Sticks 2/3
- Bayleaf 2 [small ones]
- Ghee 1/2 cup
- Cloves 4/5
- Wash the rice
- Fry the dAl separtely for a while.
- Lightly fry in ghee the ginger and bay leaves
- Then add the rice, dAl, and salt, fry for about 10 minutes. Medium to medium high heat
- Add five cups of boiling water and the salt
- As soon as the water comes up to boil, put a lid on it. 🙂
- Simmer in low heat for 20/25 minutes
- You could add beresta to it or you could make it spicier by adding turmeric and chilli powder. I use 1/2 tsp of the former and 1 tsp of the latter. [I like it hot]