Chat/Chatpati spice mix is a mix of hot and tangy spices that can be used to spice up snack, salads, fruit salads and even curries.
In Bangladesh, chat mix is used heavily in the food served by street vendors – the ubiquitous fuchka and chatpati vans that one everywhere.
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons rock salt
- 3/4 tablespoon dried red chili
- 1 tablespoon garam masalla
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mango powder (amchur)
- 1/2 teaspoon citric acid powder
- 1/2 teaspoon astofoeda powder
- Dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds
- Lightly roast the red chilis.
- Grind all ingredients into a powder
- Keep sealed
You can get good Chat Masala from Sub-continental stores in the US. No need to make everything from scratch if you are pressed for time.