This is a favorite recipe of mine and provides ample opportunities to improvise.
- 2 pounds of fresh okra cut into quarter inch slices
- 1/2 a medium onion very thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic – finely chopped or sliced
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin (optional)
- 1/2 tsp red turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 tsp coriander (optional)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (optional)
- In a preferably non-stick frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- When hot drop in the onion and garlic. Stir fry until garlic starts getting caramelized
- Drop in all the spices and stir fry for a minute
- Drop in the okra and stir until properly coated by the spices
- Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally. Your doneness will depend on your taste. My preference is to cook until the okra too gets caramelized.