If there is rice to be had, there will have to be an accompaniment of vegetables in Bangladeshi meals – often leafy greens that grow so plentifully in the verdant country side. Spinach is fairly common and this recipe I present is a simple yet delicious way to prepare spinach.
You can use the same recipe with chard, Indian spinach (pui shaak) and other leafy vegetables that cook and soften quickly.
- 1 pound chopped spinach
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paanch phoron
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 dried red chilis
- 1/4 cup, very thinly sliced onions
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat
- Drop in the dried red chilis and fry for a minute
- Add the onions and fry until translucent
- Add in the garlic and paanh phoron, stir frying until the spices start to splutter
- Add in the spinach, salt, pepper and stir thoroughly so that the spices coat all the leaves
- As soon as all the spinach has wilted, cover and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until done